Acid/Base Disorders and ABG Interpretation
Attendees will begin with an in-depth analysis of the physiology of acid/base derangement and how the human body attempts to compensate and correct these to regain homeostasis. This will include the discussion of the clinical presentation, differential diagnosis, physical exam findings, laboratory and diagnostic imaging abnormalities, and management of metabolic acidosis, respiratory acidosis, metabolic alkalosis and respiratory alkalosis.
- Overview of arterial blood gas sampling including site selection, safety, technique, and possible complications.
- Define anion gap, pH, arterial blood gas values, plasma electrolytes, and the Henderson-Hasselbach equation.
- Discuss the four main acid/base derangements and their clinical presentations, ABG interpretation skills, including helpful hints and strategies useful in diagnosing the primary and compensatory processes involved.
- Review case presentations and examples from simple acid/base problems all the way up to complicated mixed acid/base problems (including the use of tools such as Winter’s Formula and Delta/Delta)
Essentials of Medical Spanish
This workshop is designed to introduce participants into the world of medical Spanish. Beginning with an in-depth examination of the Hispanic culture as it relates to medical care, one will gain knowledge in the development and identification of basic medical Spanish as well as the ability to formulate and interpret the composition of basic medical phrases. This will allow for an enhanced communication and understanding between your patients and yourself.
- Understand the importance of communicating in Spanish to your Spanish-speaking patients
- Appreciate a basic introduction to Spanish pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary
- Identify basic Spanish phrases to communicate with your patients
- Encourage further training in Spanish language instruction
Don’t Be Tachy…Learn your EKGs: Basic Laser-Guided EKG Interpretation
This Laser-Guided EKG Workshop is designed to give participants an interactive learning experience while having fun. Through interactive instruction, you are certain to have a good time! We will review the basics of acquiring a proper 12-lead EKG and its interpretation. By the end of this workshop, you will be more confident in your interpretation of EKGs.
- Identify and recognize proper lead placement for a 12-lead EKG
- Determine abnormalities that require emergency intervention
- Identify axis deviation, hypertrophy and lead reversal
- Identify ischemic changes in a static ECG
- Discuss conditions and tracing that mimic myocardial infarctions on an EKG
The landscape of wound care is rapidly expanding. Dedicated centers can manage a wide variety of these wounds. Multiple modalities are used to help heal our patients. It is important to understand and recognize any roadblocks to the healing process.
- State the common etiologies of different types of wounds (vascular, neuropathic, pressure, diabetic, burns, radiation, infectious)
- Describe the different wound classifications
- Describe the principles of wound healing
- Review treatment modalities in wound care
Don’t Be Tachy…Learn your EKGs: Advanced EKG Interpretation
This workshop is designed to advance participants’ knowledge of EKGs by identifying and properly treating various cardiac arrhythmias, wall changes, and ischemic events. This interactive learning experience is intended to build competence in quickly and accurately recognizing serious cardiac conditions in the emergent and non-emergent settings, both in- and outpatient.
- Accurately and rapidly interpret EKG and cardiac monitor tracings
- Identify and differentiate the EKG findings from the following types of conditions:
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Myocardial ischemia
- Discuss Sgarbossa’s criteria
- Discuss common cardiac conditions and associated EKG findings: pericardial effusion, pericarditis (Dressler’s syndrome), hypertensive heart disease, RV strain, etc.
The Art of Suturing
This workshop will cover the basics of suturing materials, preparation, and proper techniques for obtaining that perfect closure. A brief overview of the different types of suture material available and the proper application in various situations will be discussed. There will be plenty of hands-on experience to practice your newly learned basic suturing skills, including basic interrupted, continuous, subcutaneous, and mattress technique closures.
- Discuss the history/development of suture materials/needles
- Illustrate the proper use of surgical instruments relating to suturing
- Demonstrate the performance of a basic interrupted closure and a basic continuous closure on a simple incision
- Perform an interrupted/continuous subcutaneous closure with buried knots
- Perform a simple closure using a mattress stitch
- Perform a compound closure on a jagged incision wound under tension using both interrupted and continuous closure
Orthopedic Fracture Radiology and Fracture Splints
This workshop will teach participants the most common orthopedic radiology findings. Participants will learn the proper use and indications for different types of radiology studies while learning the proper techniques to read the study that was ordered. The course will also allow participants to identify variances and abnormal findings on the basic radiology studies.
- Identify common Orthopedic radiological findings
- Review appropriate ordering of imaging
- Discuss common fractures and management
- Upper extremity
- Lower extremity
- Review types of splint materials
Workshop is approved for Pennsylvania Physician Assistant initial or renewal of license.
This workshop is designed to review the history of child abuse prevention and treatment; Pennsylvania laws and definitions under the child protective services law; and to identify the requirements for those mandated to report suspicions of child abuse. In addition to the requirements of the law, we will examine possible signs and symptoms of abuse, and the potential outcomes for children experiencing abuse. Participants will review disclosure techniques and tactics for handling a disclosure of abuse without further traumatizing the child.
- Participants will be able to identify possible signs and symptoms of child abuse
- Participants will be able to identify steps to take in the event of a child’s disclosure of abuse to prevent further trauma
- Participants will be able to describe the duties of a mandated reporter
- Participants will be able to identify the methods for making a report of suspicion of child abuse
This heart sounds workshop will start with lecture-based learning to review cardiac anatomy, physiology, and the pathology associated with abnormal heart sounds. Lecture will be followed by an interactive session of listening to various pathological heart sounds with computer software. The small group size will facilitate question and answer throughout.
- Describe how to perform a cardiovascular exam
- Identify basic cardiac physiology leading to common murmurs
- Identify and differentiate between common cardiac murmurs
- Identify common extra heart sounds