Please use the following checklist to remind you of important issues to consider when searching for a job, interviewing, and writing an employment contract.
Hours / Locations
- Number of office locations?
Will PA work in all locations?
- Regular Hours of Operation?
Expected number of hours of work per week?
- On-call schedule: Flexible?
By phone or in person?
Have to go to office, ER, nursing home?
Has compensation for these been clearly specified?
- How will holidays be covered?
- Weekends begin and end at what time?
- Type of work the PA wants to do?
Physician’s expectations of what PA will do?
- Expected number of patients to be seen each day?
- How will the physician and PA interact?
How will supervision be provided?
Availability of physician?
- Relationship to others in the office?
- Other responsibilities in the practice?
Quality assurance, in-service training
Development of policies/procedures
Handling of Equipment
- Number of hospitals where physician is privileged?
Will PA be privileged there too?
PA’s hospital responsibilities?
Is hospital committee work required? Possible?
- Number of nursing homes where the physician follows patients?
PA’s nursing home responsibilities?
- Necessary paperwork filed with the state licensing board?
Who is responsible for submitting paperwork?
- State statute / regulations reviewed with the physician?
Rules / regulations and “gray areas” discussed?
- Nursing home regulations reviewed?
- Probationary period?
- Written contract provided?
- Physician’s malpractice policy type and coverage reviewed with PA?
PA’s malpractice policy type and coverage discussed and acquired?
Is tail coverage provided, if needed?
- Provision in contract for re-negotiation in event of expanded responsibilities, workload increase, reduction in services, etc.?
- Malpractice coverage—types, limits of liability?
Personal, AAPA endorsed occurrence policy?
Personal claims made policy with tail coverage?
Rider on physician’s policy?
- Health insurance provided? For dependents?
- Dental insurance provided? For dependents?
- Life insurance?
- Disability insurance?
- Annual leave?
- Paid holidays?
- Sick leave?
- Family / maternity leave?
- Unpaid leave policy?
- Number of paid jury days?
Professional Expenses Covered
- Certification exam expense?
- Recertification exam expense?
- Annual PA conference expense?
- State Chapter CME conference expense?
- CME program expenses?
Dollar amount available?
Number of paid days off for CME?
- AAPA annual membership dues?
- PSPA annual membership dues?
- Professional activity in local, state, and national PA organizations permitted?
- Coverage of malpractice insurance?
- State license/ certification fees?
- Credentialing fees?
- Hourly wages or base salary?
How often reviewed?
- Partnership available?
- Bonus plan available?
- Profit sharing available?
- Pension provided?
- Additional compensation for on-call?
- Reimbursement of expenses?
Travel to hospital, nursing homes, between offices or distant offices?
Moving expenses to start new job?