See the suggestions the AAPA has for exiting your current position.
Resigning from Employment
There are some issues that you should handle before your final day. The following checklist outlines points to cover when ending an employment situation.
- Notify other providers/referrals.
- Transfer care for patients in active care to another provider.
- Notify patients.
- Complete all your medical records.
- Notify hospitals, nursing homes, and other places of practice.
Legal and insurance issues
- Notify state licensing board or department regarding changes in supervising physician.
- Notify professional liability insurer.
- Review malpractice coverage. If claims-made policy, is employer providing tail coverage?
- When does health and other insurance terminate?
- Discuss COBRA options for continuing health insurance.
- Review contract or other formal agreement(s) for restrictions on future practice (such as restrictive covenants).
Benefits and business issues
- When will you receive final paycheck?
- Are you entitled to vacation pay? Sick time payout?
- Review your retirement benefits. Be aware of deadlines.
- Can you transfer your retirement funds to another fund?
- Are you entitled to a bonus or profit sharing? If so, when can you expect payment?
- If moving, leave a change of address for future correspondence.
- Discuss practice policy regarding references.
- Will your supervising physician or the practice be a good reference? If so, get a letter to keep for future use.
- Review personnel file and make copies of all reviews.
- Review credentialing files.