The purpose of the membership committee shall be to actively recruit and retain members for the Society.
- Increase the number and diversity of the PAs in the profession and the Society.
- Encourage fellow or affiliate membership for all graduate PAs living and/or working in Pennsylvania.
- Encourage student membership for all student PAs in the Commonwealth.
- Encourage sustaining membership for PAs not practicing in Pennsylvania and other health professionals in the state.
- The Committee shall consist of a chairperson appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors.
- The committee shall consist of PSPA members appointed by the chairperson. A representative from each region will be asked to serve on the committee. The chairperson is to work with Student and Faculty Affairs to identify a contact at each PA Program to assist with student recruitment.
- A Director-at-Large, assigned by the President, will serve as the board advisor to the committee.
- The President is an ex-officio member of the committee.
Committee Chair Job Description
- Be a PSPA member in good standing.
- Appoint committee members.
- Appoint one member of the committee to serve as the vice-chair. The vice-chair’s responsibility will be to assist the chair with all the functions of the committee as well as be prepared to take over the committee in the unlikely event that the chairperson is unable to complete the functions of the committee.
- Submit a written, quarterly committee report to the Board at least 2 weeks prior to each Board of Directors Meeting.
- Monitor and update membership section on website on a regular basis.
- Estimated time needed to fulfill the duties of this position is 6-8 hours per month with an increased time requirement during renewal periods and membership drives, in addition to the Board of Directors’ meetings.
- Attend at least three (3) Board of Directors’ Meetings per year.
- Make policy recommendations to the Board of Directors when appropriate.
- Submit at least one article per issue of the PSPA NEWS.
- Submit a proposed budget to the treasurer in March of each year.
- Submit a yearly committee report for the PSPA membership.
- Oversee all expenses by the committee.
- Participate in the development of the PSPA Action Plan.
Committee Member Job Description
- Be a PSPA member in good standing.
- Participate in committee activities, complete assigned tasks, and communicate regularly (at least quarterly) to chairperson by verbal, written or electronic means.
- Report recommendations regarding membership drives, membership benefits, and distribution materials to the committee chair two times per year. Reports are due prior to the membership drives. Communication may be by verbal, written, or electronic means.
- Estimated time necessary to fulfill the duties of this position is 2-4 hours per month with increased time during renewal periods and less time during other months. Must be available to make contact with PAs within respective regions during membership drives.
- Expenses for committee business are reimbursable if approved by the committee chairperson.
- Shall abide by all PSPA and AAPA bylaws and policies.
- Must have Board approval to enter into any legal or financial agreement on behalf of the Society.
- Membership categories are designated by PSPA bylaws.
- Hold two (2) membership drivesper year, preferably in the spring and fall.
- Work with the Board Administrator to mail membership recruitment material to all graduate and student PAs in Pennsylvania who are not members of the Society.
- Design and annually review and/or update the membership brochure and recruitment materials.
- Coordinate with Student and Faculty Affairs to contact all PA programs annually to encourage student membership and provide applications and recruitment materials.
- Work with the Board Administrator to obtain mailing lists of graduate and student PAs through the AAPA.
- A representative from each region shall assist with the membership recruitment in their region.
- The committee shall have material available at the PSPA conference.
- Membership applications shall be forwarded to the Board Administrator.
- The Board Administrator shall review and approve all applications for membership. A new member will receive a membership card, certificate of membership, website link to the contact information for the PSPA Board of Directors, committee chairpersons, and region contacts, plus any other material approved by the Board.
- The application for membership shall be designed and updated annually by the membership chairperson.
- Membership renewal shall be coordinated by the Board Administrator and Membership Committee Chairperson.
- The cost for the PSPA membership shall be reviewed by the committee and approved by the Board at least in every odd numbered year.
- The Committee will review membership benefits on an annual basis and make suggestions for new membership benefits as necessary.
- Budget, disburse, and account for those funds allocated to the committee for the administrative function of the committee.
A 2-month notice of resignation is requested of the chairperson. It is also recommended that the outgoing chairperson supply the names of two physician assistants that could step into the position, if possible. The resigning chairperson should submit all files and copies of the correspondence regarding the committee’s activities to the new chairperson or to the Board Advisor for the committee.
Presented 10/10/01; Approved 1/13/01; Reviewed/Revised 11/1/22