The Health Disparities Committee serves to advance the PSPA’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in healthcare.
The Committee shall:
- Identify and address health disparities issues.
- Stimulate and encourage participation in local and regional health disparities activities.
- Assist the Society in promoting an inclusive environment that maximizes individual and organizational opportunity, potential, responsibility, in accordance with the PSPA action plan.
- Promote a more diverse membership and leadership pool within the Society.
- Promote health disparities efforts throughout the commonwealth’s PA profession.
- The committee shall consist of a chairperson appointed by the president and approved by the Board of Directors.
- The committee shall consist of members from as many PSPA regions as possible as appointed by the chairperson.
- A Director at Large, assigned by the President, will serve as board advisor to the Committee.
- The President is an ex-officio member of the committee.
COMMITTEE CHAIR JOB DESCRIPTION
- Be a PSPA member in good standing
- Appoint Committee members
- Appoint one member of the committee to serve as the vice-chair. The vice-chair’s responsibility will be to assist the chair with all the functions of the committee as well as be prepared to take over the committee in the unlikely event that the chairperson is unable to complete the functions of the committee.
- Submit a written, quarterly committee report to the Board at least 2 weeks prior to each Board of Directors’ Meeting.
- Monitor and update diversity section on website on a regular basis.
- Estimated time needed to fulfill the duties of this position is 4-6 hours per month in addition to the Board of Directors’ meetings.
- Attend at least three (3) Board of Directors’ Meetings per year.
- Make policy recommendations to the Board of Directors when appropriate.
- Submit at least 1 article per issue of the PSPA NEWS.
- Submit a proposed budget to the treasurer in March of each year.
- Submit a yearly committee report for the PSPA membership.
- Oversee all expenses by the committee.
- Participate in the development of the PSPA Action Plan.
COMMITTEE MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTION
- Be a PSPA member in good standing.
- Assure the topic of diversity is addressed in all PSPA sponsored activities.
- Report to the Committee Chairperson on regional health disparities initiatives.
- Estimated time necessary to fulfill duties as a committee member is 4 hours per month.
- Submit expense report to the chairperson for approval prior to incurring the expense (expenses for committee-related activities are reimbursable if approved by the committee chairperson).
- Shall abide by all PSPA and AAPA bylaws and policies.
- Must have Board approval to enter into any legal or financial agreement on behalf of the Society.
- Budget, disburse and account for those funds allocated to the committee for the administrative function of the committee.
- Any member of the committee representing the Society to an outside group may not act on behalf of the Society without the approval of the Board of Directors.
- Write Newsletter articles.
- Encourage CME diversity training.
- Recommend inclusion of health disparities issues consideration in the work of the PSPA BOD and all PSPA committees.
- Promote minority membership.
- Develop a health disparities exhibit to use at regional and local CME conferences.
- Work with other health care professions on health disparities issues.
- Work with Pennsylvania PA programs on clinical and non-clinical health disparities issues in PA education.
A 2-month notice of resignation is requested of the chairperson. It is also recommended that the outgoing chairperson supply the names of two physician assistants that could step into the position, if possible. The resigning chairperson should submit all files and copies of the correspondence regarding the committee’s activities to the new chairperson or to the Board Advisor for the committee.
Approved 10/10/00; Reviewed/Revised 11/1/22