The PSPA staff and student and faculty affairs committee have developed the PSPA Student Handbook. This handbook is an introduction for the PA student to the PSPA organization and how a student can become involved in the society.
The PSPA offers Student scholarships to PA students. The PSPA has the Nathaniel Alston Student Achievement Scholarship and the Tom Lemley Health Disparities Writing Contest.
Poster presentation opportunities are available at each fall CME conference. Members of the PSPA as well as students and PA Faculty can participate in a poster presentation. All submissions must include at least one individual who is a PSPA member. Participants must be willing to answer questions regarding their work during display hours at the annual conference. If you are interested, please submit an abstract of 150 words or less to the Poster Presentation Chair Mary C Allias, MPAS, PA-C email@example.com.
These useful links are beneficial to expanding the education of PA students.
Have Questions? E-mail our Student and Faculty co-chairs:
Lane Bower, PA-C
Chad Jackson, PA-C
Books and Guides
Check out our Amazon store for a full listing of books, but here are some highlights:
Ballweg R, Stolberg S, Sullivan E. Physician Assistant, A Guide to Clinical Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: W.B. Saunders Co.; 2008. Good overall reference for everything PA related.
Hooker RS and Cawley JF. Physician Assistants in American Medicine. 2 nd ed. Churchill Livingston; 2003. Reviews history of PA profession, breaks down pay grade by specialty, highlights all the roles PAs can have.
Rodican RJ. Getting into the PA school of your choice. 2nd ed. Appleton & Lange; 2009.
Sacks TJ. Opportunities in Physician Assistant Careers. 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill; 2002.
Lange “Current” Series– excellent reference for general practitioners and specialties. Examples:
– Tierney LM. Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment 2003. 42 nd ed. New York, NY: Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill; 2002.
– Hay WW, Hayward AR, Levin MJ, Sondheimer JM. Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment. 16 th ed. New York, NY: Lange Medical Books; 2003.
The “Secrets” Series are Q&A style books in various specialties (i.e. Primary Care Secrets by Jeanette Mladenovic, Trauma Secrets by Gideon Naude, Pediatric Secrets by Mark Ditmar, and many others)
The “Blueprint” Series are another group of books that focus on different specialties; written by organ system touching on key differentials and problems (i.e. Blueprints Pediatrics by Bradley Marino and Blueprints Medicine by Vincent Young)
Pocket Reference Guides
– Blackbourne LH. Surgical Recall, 5th ed. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2008.
– Gomella LG, Haist SA. Clinician’s Pocket Reference, 11th ed. McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.; 2006. (Also known as Scut Monkey)
– Hancock J. The Practitioner’s Pocket Pal: Ultra Rapid Medical Reference. 2nd ed. MedMaster; 2007.
– Maxwell RW. Maxwell Quick Medical Reference. 5th ed. Maxwell Publishing Company, Inc; 2006
Reviewing for Boards
– Miller AA and Simon AF. Appleton & Lange Review for the Physician Assistant. McGraw-Hill Medical.
– O’Connell C and Zarbock SF. A Comprehensive Review for the Certification and Recertification Examinations for Physician Assistants. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
– Rahr RR, Ayachi S and Niebuhr BR. Appleton & Lange’s Quick Review: Physician Assistant. McGraw-Hill Medical. (Has practice tests)
– Simon AF and Miller AA. Appleton & Lange Outline Review for the Physician Assistant Examination. McGraw-Hill Medical.
– Register for the PANCE exam at www.nccpa.net/
– Review material covered on PANCE